BpLampSupply.com - McMinnville, TN based wholesaler of lamp parts & supplies
B & P Lamp Supply, Inc. Serving the Trade Since 1952
A Brief History of B & P Lamp Supply, Inc.
B & P Lamp Supply is a 3rd generation, family owned business that has operated from the same site since 1955. The company was founded in the early 1950's by Lawson H. Barnes, his wife Pauline, (see Lawson and Pauline's photo) and their son Paul O. Barnes. Originally operated from their cramped basement garage, B & P Lamp Supply moved to the site of it's present location when the Barnes family purchased a small commercial building in McMinnville of around 2500 square feet (see early B & P photo). Through gradual expansion over a period of several years B & P Lamp Supply grew it's "under roof" size to about 140,000 square feet.
Early on, the company offered hand-made adapters for people who wished to convert their old-fashion oil lamps to electric lamps (many parts of the rural America did not have electrical service until the late 1940's). The adapters were very popular. Soon people began to ask for other types of replacement parts for their old lamps such as shades and chimney glass. Before long, B & P Lamp Supply had developed an entire line of products centered around the repair and refurbishment of old lamps.
In the mid-50's Paul O. Barnes assumed a larger role in the business which, very soon, began to grow. Paul's interest and enthusiasm about early lamps and lighting lead to many new and successful products. In 1954, Paul and Lawson put together B & P's first mail order catalog (see 1st catalog photo). Paul went on to become president of B & P Lamp Supply in 1963 and served in that capacity until his promotion to CEO in 1991.