USAA.com Banking, insurance & investment services for military families.
USAA.com: Banking insurance and investment services for the military
USAA.com serves millions of military members and their families with insurance, banking and investment services.
History of USAA and USAA.com
Unable to secure auto insurance because they were considered a high-risk group, 25 military officers founded USAA in 1922 to each other's cars. Eventually, USAA expanded to serve officers, non-commissioned officers, enlisted men and women, and their families with a complete range of property and casualty insurance, banking, life insurance, and other investment products and services. Today, USAA serves 7.2 million members.
USAA.com pioneered direct marketing and still carries out the bulk of its business over the Internet or telephone.
As early as 1941, USAA's membership exceeded 22,000 people. USAA opened its New York office in 1948. By 1956, a new headquarters was completed in San Antonio. In 1973, the membership was opened to National Guard and Reserves. In 1983, USAA Federal Savings Bank and USAA brokerage services were established. In 1997, the membership was extended to enlisted personnel.
- Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
- Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
- Adult children of USAA members who have -- or had -- a USAA auto or property insurance policy.
- Widows and widowers of USAA members who have -- or had -- a USAA auto or property insurance policy.
Profile of USAA and USAA.com
USAA is a financial services company founded by and for American military personnel and their families. The company sells insurance, banking and investment products and also provides discounts on other products and services.
USAA.com employs more than 21,500 people. The company's 2009 annual revenue was about $17.5 billion.
USAA.com's core business products are in insurance, investing and banking.
Insurance services include basic coverage such as auto, home and property insurance, as well as more specialized insurance products, including ATV, boat, collector car, travel and umbrella insurance. USAA.com has no agents, and sells its policies directly to customers via the Internet and telephone.
USAA partners with Assurant to offer a wide range of health insurance products for every budget. The company offers term life and universal or whole life policies, as well as military term life, which does not have the war-exclusion clause found in many competitors' policies.
USAA's insurance companies have been rated AAA -- the highest rating available -- by Standard & Poor's. This rating is given to insurance companies that have enough financial strength and stability to handle the risks they insure against.
The USAA Federal Savings Bank provides banking services a full range of banking services, including savings and checking, CDs, credit cards, home equity products, and auto and home loans. USAA strives to offer competitive rates. Available services include online and mobile banking and bill payment, as well as a rewards program for credit card customers. USAA offers special accounts for children and college students. USAA offers American Express, MasterCard and Visa cards.
Investments and Financial Planning
USAA's Investing services include discounted brokerage services, no-load mutual funds, annuities, IRAs and college savings plans. The website offers a variety of tools so consumers can take control of their investments and make informed decisions. Limited free financial planning advice is just a phone call away.
A consultation service is available for a flat $150 fee per topic -- for example, debt management or estate planning. A certified financial planner will offer advice to set you on the right path. For a more comprehensive plan that takes into account all your assets and liabilities, your obligations and your goals, you may purchase a one-year financial planning package for $1,500.
Awards and Ratings for USAA.com
- BusinessWeek Ranked No. 1 in list of "Customer Service Champs" (March 5, 2007)
- Fortune Most Admired Companies (1999-2004)
- Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve 2005 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
- GI Jobs Top 25 Military-Friendly Employers (2003-2006)
- Latina Style 50 Best Employers for Hispanic Women (2001-2007)
- Computerworld 100 Best Places to Work in IT (1999-2007)
- Military Spouse Magazine No. 1 Military Spouse Friendly Employer (2007)
- Working Mother 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers (1998-2005)
- American Association of Individual Investors No. 1 for Overall Satisfaction (2007)
- Forrester Research USAA received highest rank for customer advocacy in "Customer Advocacy 2007: How Customers Rate Banks, Brokerages, Insurers, and Credit Card Issuers" (2007)
USAA.com provides complete information about the company's many services:
USAA.com also has advice and information about personal finance. Find guidance at USAA.com on how to start saving, how to calculate your debt, plan for retirement and more.
Calculators and Planning Tools at USAA.com
USAA.com has a number of financial planning tools available -- for example, retirement income planners, portfolio planners, debt analyzers and savings calculators. Loan calculators for auto insurance calculations and mortgage calculators are also available at USAA.com.
Online Access at USAA.com
You can register at USAA.com for USAA online and mobile access. You will need to enter your USAA number or social security number at USAA.com to have your account verified for instant online access.
Contact USAA & USAA.com
- Telephone: (210) 498-2211
- Toll Free: 800-531-8722
- Fax: (210) 498-9940
- Contact Form on USAA.com
Address for USAA.com
- 9800 Fredericksburg Road
- San Antonio, Texas 78288