TSOCorp.com is Oil refineries and retail oil sales
Tesoro Corporation is an independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products, founded in 1968 and headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. They combine selling gasoline to other service stations and running their own line of filling stations.
TSOCorp.com is an inviting website with information about Tesoro Corporation's business role. There are spiffy multimedia portions which explain many facets of their business in an interactive way, making use of Flash animations and AJAX methods as well as offering PDF documents for download. For instance, the section on refinery locations includes an interactive map.
The major sections of the site include:
- About Tesoro
- Message From CEO
- Tesoro Transformation
- Vision and Values
- Social Responsibility
- Board of Directors
- Senior Management Team
- Description of their business
- Retail Marketing
- Wholesale Marketing
- Commercial Marketing
- Supply & Distribution
- Retail Store Locations
- Investor information
- A media center
- A section for employment with Tesoro.
The site is structured around Tesoro's changing role of becoming more retail-oriented. Thus, large parts of the site address the customer directly while talking about their chain of gas stations and convenience stores.
Tesoro Corporation was founded in 1968 as a company primarily dealing with petroleum exploration and production. At the outset, Tesoro began operating Alaska's first refinery, located near Kenai.
Towards the end of the 1990s, Tesoro grew into a major corporation through a series of acquisitions and initiatives. The company's focus has remained on the single core business of petroleum refining and marketing. Through these acquisitions, they have expanded their refining capacity from 72,000 barrels per day to nearly 560,000 barrels per day.
Their acquisition activity to date:
- The second refinery in Kapolei, Hawaii, including petroleum terminals and approximately 30 retail stations in Hawaii from BHP Americas.
- The former Shell refinery in Anacortes, Washington.
- The purchase of refineries in Mandan, North Dakota and Salt Lake City, Utah from Amoco.
- Further refinery acquisitions which have boosted the company’s capacity output. This has positioned it for future expansion in key growth markets.
- Most recently, they have purchased Shell’s Los Angeles refinery and approximately 250 southern California retail sites. They have also purchased approximately 150 retail stations in California from USA Petroleum.
At this time, Tesoro Corporation is operating six refineries in the Western United States; these give them a combined rated crude-oil refining capacity of nearly 560,000 barrels per day. Their retail-marketing system includes over 500 branded retail gas stations, 2/5ths of which are company-operated under both their own Tesoro brand name and their joint Mirastar brand. The Mirastar brand stations are jointly operated with Walmart stores in the Western United States, giving them a position of leverage over competitors by way of their partnership with the retail giant.
Tesoro Corporation reported revenues of over $12 billion in 2005. They employ 4000 people. Their Fortune 500 ranking is #128.
- 300 Concord Plaza Dr
- San Antonio TX 78216 US