Purdue.edu is Purdue Universty in West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University (PU), named after its chief benefactor John Purdue, a Lafayette business and financial leader, is in the Indiana state of US. Being a public university, PU offers affordable higher education and it is one of the America's reputed leading research institutions. The PU has a total of 18,431 acres of land holdings, with 2,307 of it being in West Lafayette alone.
Of the five campuses, the main campus in located in, Indiana (about 100 km north of Indianapolis). The other campuses are:
- IU-PU Columbus
- IU-PU Fort Wayne
- IU-PU Indianapolis
- Purdue Calumet
- Purdue North Central
The Purdue University system also includes many teaching and research centers across the state. The West Lafayette campus offers some 7,400 courses in more than 500 undergraduate majors and specializations in the schools / colleges of Agriculture, Consumer and Family Sciences, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts, Management, Nursing, Pharmacy, Science, Technology and Veterinary Medicine. The Graduate School offers advanced degrees and research programs.
Schools and Colleges
- COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE - One of the two founding departments of PU (dating back to 1869). Programs offered run into several dozens including the likes of agribusiness management, agricultural economics, animal production, animal science, applied meteorology, biochemistry, food science, forestry, horticultural science, interdisciplinary agriculture, international agronomy, urban and industrial pest control, etc.
- COLLEGE OF CONSUMER AND FAMILY SCIENCES - Several programs offered include the likes of apparel design and technology; dietetics; early intervention; family and consumer sciences education; tourism management; fitness, and health; youth, adult, and family services etc.
- COLLEGE OF EDUCATION - Offers the Master of Science in education, among many others.
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING - The college was ranked as one of the largest in America. Several highly ranked undergraduate and graduate programs were offered in a dozen engineering disciplines / specializations including engineering education. In 2004, Purdue became the first university in the country to offer engineering education as a discipline.
- COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS - This covers Humanities, Social Science, arts, writing, foreign studies and Education.
- COLLEGE OF SCIENCE - This college boasts America's first computer sciences department and offers a whole range of Sciences, both basic and applied. Statewide Delivery System of College of Technology, PU is a program that uses a combination of local college courses as well as Purdue College Courses, to train manpower leading to degrees from PU, in the fields of industry, government, local communities etc. details can be had at PU website.
Purdue University was established in 1869 and began classes on September 16, 1874 with a modest 39 students and 6 faculty in agriculture and mechanical “arts!”
As per fall 2005 statistics, the main West Lafayette campus enrolled more than 38,700 students and the entire system enrolled more than 69,000 students drawn from 50 states and the District of Columbia and three territories, including residents abroad, resident aliens and international students from about 120 countries. Female enrollment in PU came in for steady rise. In West Lafayette alone, it rose from 15 % to 41 % between 1930 and 2005. in absolute terms it is from 693 students to 15,898 students in 2005.
Faculty and Research
The rich faculty of PU rose from the original 6 in 1874 to over 2,400 in Fall, 2005, across the Purdue Statewide System. PU has over 400 research laboratories on West Lafayette campus alone, including groups of researcher, interdisciplinary groups engaged in research.
As member of the Big Ten, PU has 9 men’s teams and 9 women's teams and gives big push to sports activity in campus. James Smart, then President of Purdue University convened a meeting of presidents of seven American Midwestern universities on January 11, 1895, in Chicago, to discuss regulation and control of intercollegiate athletics. What is then began as the Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives, is the now famous "Big Ten" for university students’ athletics. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Track and Field, Volleyball are among the sports patronized. 'Boilermakers' is the nick name given to the PU football team; 'Boilermaker Special' is Purdue’s official mascot which resembles a train locomotive.
Library and Information Systems
University network has collection of over 2,450.000 volumes and a capacity of 3,500 seats at the West Lafayette campus alone.
Accommodation is available for about 11,500 undergraduate students and graduate students, in the West Lafayette campus alone. Details may be found at website. The residences available at PU are Cary Quadrangle, Earlhart, Harrison, Hillenbrand, McCutcheon, McCutcheon, Meredith, Owen, Shreve, Tarkingston, Wiley, Windsor etc. As PU is vast and spread across the state, details of other housing available elsewhere may be tried from above link.
There are many small campuses in the PU system but the details of each small campus are out of scope to be mentioned here. Their details can easily be had at PU website at the respective links.
- PU's Krannert School of Management received top 15 MBA rankings worldwide given by Financial Times survey.
- The Krannert School placed 9th , 12th and 25th worldwide in terms of salaries, placement success and no of doctoral graduates in management, respectively.
- The Krannert School placed 24th and 8th overall and among public universities respectively by Business Week magazine's rankings.
- The PU’s College of Engineering was named best and 2nd outside the U.S. Southwest and nationally for Hispanic students.
- Engineering specialties at PU’s College of Engg got ranks between 2 and 13 with Industrial/manufacturing engineering leading at #2.
- Similarly, in Management specialties, the production / operations management at Krannert’s placed # 2 and led many others
- Overall, PU ranked 11th nationwide, among top 50.
- Similarly, College of Engineering’s School of Industrial Engineering placed 4th nationally, leading many other schools ranked from 5th to 36th.
- PU's undergraduate landscape and architecture design program was ranked No. 2 in the nation.
- As per the U.S. News & World Report, PU’s Pharmacy program ranked 4th nationally.
- PU awarded the most engineering degrees to women in America.
- The School of Technology is the largest producer of engineering technology bachelor's degrees among public institutions in the United States.
- Purdue University Office of Engagement has three offices in three campuses and aims at disseminating needs of Indiana state and applying its expertise to them.
- West Lafayette, IN 47907 USA,
- (765) 494-4600
- 1) http://www.purdue.edu
- 2) http://www.purdue.edu/Purdue/contact/index.html
- 3) http://www.housing.purdue.edu
- 501 Harrison St, SCCA Rm 36
- West Lafayette IN 47907 US
- Alexa: Purdue.edu